Skip to main content

Good Morning, rest of my life...

This morning I made my first student loan payment in a very long time.  I had been paying back after my first masters, and then I went back for a second so the payment went away for a while.  So here we are again, and honestly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I know that I am lucky to have had the opportunity to access funds to get to go to school.  I would also appreciate at the opportunity to have my loans reduced based on the work that I do.

For someone with my level of education and work experience I feel comfortable saying I am under-compensated.  This is not simply the organization I work for, it's the industry standard.  Unfortunately social services and the non-profit sector have bought into the idea that we should be so lucky to do this work and do it for less than say, hospitals or the government.  In doing so, we have created an environment that is often rife with burnout, frustration and struggling to survive workers.  The same workers that are charged with the helping the clients to seek their own empowerment and change in their lives.  I have been saying for years, we need to overhaul the thinking of the non-profit sector and educate the community so that these incredibly important services, provided by incredibly talented individuals can continue and not just burn out....

Anyway, yay for having a job that I actually enjoy the work I get to do.  Yay for having the financial resources to pay towards my educational loans.  And yay for trying to explore the how we can gain access to education and pay for it in a way that does not leave those dedicated to services, needing services themselves.

Comments

  1. Preach it. My dream is to start a foundation that funds only operating expenses with a focus on increasing the salaries of employees.

    One trend that has helped perpetuate this sorry state - calculating how much of each dollar spent goes to "actual" services (vs admin) - as though programs can run themselves without electricity or a work space. Grrrr...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A-fucking-men. Striking the balance between acknowledging privilege and venting some justified anger.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blissful Bites #9

Following the lead of the lovely  "other Liv"  I experienced a handful of wonderful suprises this week. 1) My mom called me from the road and asked to pull in for the night, with my pa and three little nephews in tow! They were traveling back from Idaho and thought it would be fun to camp out at our house for the night. It was a lovely summer evening that had four little boys running through the sprinkler, eating ice cream cones, gathering around a campfire and then drifting off to sleep in a giant pile of sleeping bags. 2) We got our final bid from Community Energy Works of Oregon and have applied for our loan!  In just a few short days we should know if we will get new insulation and water heater.  This is so exciting for us.  Without this program, I am not sure we'd be able to get this work done any time soon.  3) The Hubs and I spent one evening cleaning up the remnants of the shed remodel.  This is the shed that we got free on Craigslist and with the assi

Little blue jacket!

I am so incredibly in love with this new Torrid white label dark wash cropped jean jacket. It is probably my most favorite new piece of clothing. I'm never sure how things are going to be, since Torrid doesn't often carry size 5 or 28 in the store. When the jacket arrived and I pulled it out of its plastic and was instantly in love. It's the perfect weight for spring and summer and the fabric is buttery soft which makes rolling the sleeves a brief. I think it will be a great layering piece in the fall as well. It looks hot with all of my skater dresses and empire cut tops. It's definitely become my go-to piece and I would recommend it for anyone.

Oh, heeeeyyyy...

It's been a minute since we last chatted.  I'll admit I have been having loads of fun on  Instagram  as a means to explore fashion, HAES and the world around me.  I keep meaning to come back and actually blog and I get myself so worked up over the idea that I just let it go.  So I am going to try to come here more.  Share some of my fun fashion stuff.  Explore my thoughts on books I am currently reading.  Here's to new adventures together!