Skip to main content

mmm...what's cookng on the stove?

Between school, internship, work, being a wife, mother and friend I haven't gotten to do all the little things that I really love. I've given up bi-weekly pedicures for movies with the kiddo, getting my hair done for dinner out with the hubs, 50k a year plus benefits for the hope of a career I can do for a lifetime. I am really ok with my choices. I'm the kinda girl that understands that this is just temporary. In two months from now it will be different and two months after that, again there will be change.

Knowing that I was missing out on "me time," I specifically changed my school schedule this term to negotiate a bit more face time with my hubs and a little time to myself. It's been nice so far. I have Tuesday night to hang out at home by myself and do whatever I want, which most nights is homework and Thursday night as a date night with my sweetie.

I have decided that on "me night," I am going to try one new recipe a week. I feel like I have gotten into a rut and cook the same stuff all the time. It's getting boring. So today I am making Green Chili Stew.

I got this recipe from allrecipe.com. I chose it as one that I might be able to translate into a crockpot recipe, which with life the way it is these days is golden. The ingredients are simple:

1 tbsp oil ( I used EVOO)
2 lbs cubed stew meat (New Seasons organic, no hormone, locally grown beef)
1 onion (I used 1/2)
1 10oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1.5 cps beef broth
1 4oz can chopped green chiles ( I used mild)
1 tsp garlic salt ( I didn't have any, so I used a little salt and 1 tsp garlic powder)
1 tsp ground cumin
2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed (I used fingerling potatoes with skins on)
optional - 1 cup frozen corn

Basically I heated up the pot and added a little oil. I threw in the diced onion for 3 minutes and then the beef. Once the beef was brown, I poured in the tomatoes, chiles and beef broth. I seasoned it with the garlic powder, salt and cumin. I then brought it all to a boil before letting it simmer for an hour. At the hour mark, I added the diced potatoes and frozen corn. I also added about 3/4 cup of water. I brought it to a boil one more time and then let it simmer for 30 minutes. Et Viola!

I served it up with a dollop of sour cream and some yummy sour dough bread from New Seasons. It was delicious and there was plenty left over for lunch tomorrow. YAY new recipe success! Next time, I'll try it in the crock pot...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blissful Bites #9

Following the lead of the lovely  "other Liv"  I experienced a handful of wonderful suprises this week. 1) My mom called me from the road and asked to pull in for the night, with my pa and three little nephews in tow! They were traveling back from Idaho and thought it would be fun to camp out at our house for the night. It was a lovely summer evening that had four little boys running through the sprinkler, eating ice cream cones, gathering around a campfire and then drifting off to sleep in a giant pile of sleeping bags. 2) We got our final bid from Community Energy Works of Oregon and have applied for our loan!  In just a few short days we should know if we will get new insulation and water heater.  This is so exciting for us.  Without this program, I am not sure we'd be able to get this work done any time soon.  3) The Hubs and I spent one evening cleaning up the remnants of the shed remodel.  This is the shed that we got free on Craigslist and with the assi

There are so many reasons why I should hate this photo, but I don't.

I participated in a photo shoot for an event called the #suitupcampaign.  It is the hope of the woman organizing it to have a more varied representation of body types in swim suits, which would in turn  invite other women to feel comfortable "suiting up" for summer if they saw bodies that looked like theirs.  I was asked to submit a picture of my suit and so I set out to take a couple selfies.  As I was going through them and I started to notice something; I looked beautiful. As a fat, white, cisgender, femme-presenting, often mis-identified queer woman who is currently partnered with a cisgender man, I have received many messages about my body over the course of my life. From a very young age my body was labeled as fat.  I understood the resounding message that my worth was directly tied to in how much space I was supposed to take up in the world.  I understood that it was always open season on my body - from family, friends, doctors and even strangers.  Sometimes couch

Little blue jacket!

I am so incredibly in love with this new Torrid white label dark wash cropped jean jacket. It is probably my most favorite new piece of clothing. I'm never sure how things are going to be, since Torrid doesn't often carry size 5 or 28 in the store. When the jacket arrived and I pulled it out of its plastic and was instantly in love. It's the perfect weight for spring and summer and the fabric is buttery soft which makes rolling the sleeves a brief. I think it will be a great layering piece in the fall as well. It looks hot with all of my skater dresses and empire cut tops. It's definitely become my go-to piece and I would recommend it for anyone.