Skip to main content

Make sure to take care...

I need to work on my self-care.  I am really good at talking game with others, however when it comes to ensuring my own well being, I am not always the best.  I stay up too late, haven't found a way to fit in exercise - beyond my weekly yoga class at Fat Yoga which is awesome - just not enough and I have an ever growing afternoon Diet Coke habit, just to name a few.  Needless to say I am working on it, it's just tough.

I am currently balancing between two jobs.  One is a fulltime, benefitted job in community mental health, where I get to do some really interesting work with people who are mainly in crisis.  My second job 12 hours a week is working with naturopathic medical school students, in a student mental health clinic.  I love this as it is less crisis oriented and gives me the opportunity to build therapeutic relationships.  I also get to provide supervision to student interns who are broadening their skill set while preparing for a future career in mental health.  It keeps me engaged with students, which I love (being one too!) and it keeps me engaged with the public administration side of my brain.

The thing is working 52 hours a week outside of the home, then trying to be a good parent and supportive partner is tough.  Like many people who have to balance lives similar to mine, it is easy to focus on what we aren't doing versus where we are being successful.  I know that most days, I good at my job as a clinician, parent and partner.  I know that when I take better care of myself, I am able to be more present in each of these roles.  I know I feel better and have a healthier mindset.  So today, I slept late, lazed around the house in my jammies until near noon.  Took a long hot shower before heading in for a wonderful pedicure.  Then I hit up Trader Joe's to make sure that I had the food necessary to nourish my body this week.  Lastly I grabbed dinner out.  It was a nice reprieve since it was so hot today.  All this to say, take care of yourself.  Do what you need to do to make sure you can show up in your life.  Your self-care is just as important as everything else you do for everyone else.  Remember, it doesn't have to be big and fancy, it just has to be something that nourishes you.  

 Shiny new toes post-pedi! 
I wasn't too sure about this outfit today.  I felt a little bleh, then as I was getting ready to leave, my partner said, "I like your outfit.  The shirt looks really good with your earrings," and it put a smile on my face. 
Shirt: Torrid, Tank: Lane Bryant, Shorts: Old Navy, Shoes: The Avenue  
My earrings were by a local artist that was selling at NAYA's Holiday Bizarre in 2010. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blissful Bites #9

Following the lead of the lovely  "other Liv"  I experienced a handful of wonderful suprises this week. 1) My mom called me from the road and asked to pull in for the night, with my pa and three little nephews in tow! They were traveling back from Idaho and thought it would be fun to camp out at our house for the night. It was a lovely summer evening that had four little boys running through the sprinkler, eating ice cream cones, gathering around a campfire and then drifting off to sleep in a giant pile of sleeping bags. 2) We got our final bid from Community Energy Works of Oregon and have applied for our loan!  In just a few short days we should know if we will get new insulation and water heater.  This is so exciting for us.  Without this program, I am not sure we'd be able to get this work done any time soon.  3) The Hubs and I spent one evening cleaning up the remnants of the shed remodel.  This is the shed that we got free on Craigslist and with the assi

There are so many reasons why I should hate this photo, but I don't.

I participated in a photo shoot for an event called the #suitupcampaign.  It is the hope of the woman organizing it to have a more varied representation of body types in swim suits, which would in turn  invite other women to feel comfortable "suiting up" for summer if they saw bodies that looked like theirs.  I was asked to submit a picture of my suit and so I set out to take a couple selfies.  As I was going through them and I started to notice something; I looked beautiful. As a fat, white, cisgender, femme-presenting, often mis-identified queer woman who is currently partnered with a cisgender man, I have received many messages about my body over the course of my life. From a very young age my body was labeled as fat.  I understood the resounding message that my worth was directly tied to in how much space I was supposed to take up in the world.  I understood that it was always open season on my body - from family, friends, doctors and even strangers.  Sometimes couch

Little blue jacket!

I am so incredibly in love with this new Torrid white label dark wash cropped jean jacket. It is probably my most favorite new piece of clothing. I'm never sure how things are going to be, since Torrid doesn't often carry size 5 or 28 in the store. When the jacket arrived and I pulled it out of its plastic and was instantly in love. It's the perfect weight for spring and summer and the fabric is buttery soft which makes rolling the sleeves a brief. I think it will be a great layering piece in the fall as well. It looks hot with all of my skater dresses and empire cut tops. It's definitely become my go-to piece and I would recommend it for anyone.