Skip to main content

When I'm feeling shitty...

It's been a rough week.  Not just rough, but truly soul aching.  People in my life, both personally and professionally have been struggling and sometimes it is hard to bear witness to.  With the recent suicide of Robin Williams, the talk of depression and suicide have been on the forefront of social media, the news and many conversations this week.  I am so glad people are talking, sharing their feelings and creating space for dialog to happen.  Also, I am feeling super tender about it.  I feel like I have very few spaces where this conversation is not happening all the time.

There has also been the brutal murder of Mike Brown, a young black man, by a police officer in Ferguson Missouri.  By all accounts he was a good kid, getting ready to go to college like thousands of other kids this fall and arguably due to racism, is now dead.  Not only has his bright star been dimmed, but a whole community is suffering because of it.  I don't know how anyone can deny that we have a serious problem in this country that needs to be addressed now.  We are not post anything.  We are actively racists.  From our foreign policy, to how we treat children escaping violence in other countries and seeking refuge here, to educational policy, to stop and frisk laws, driving while black/brown and this is just the tip of the iceberg.  Institutional racism is destroying our future and making the here and now nearly impossible for many people.

All this being said, in order to feel like I am showing up and being present with those who need my support, I have to feel good.  Part of me feeling good is dressing myself in a way that is physically comfortable and fashionably fulfilled.  Here are my ideas for comfort dressing this week...

 This is an old Lane Bryant dress that I got from a clothing swap 
and I threw on some LB leggings and Crocs for comfort. 
 This is a Torrid dress and belt, LB leggings and Old Navy cardi
 Comfy Avenue capris and shoes with an LB top.
Lastly a splash of color to brighten up my spirits.  
Top and jeans from LB.  Fancy shoes by Torrid

I am feeling a bit nervous about posting about my fashion, suicide and racism in one post and I think it accurately represents some of the complexity that exists in the world.  I cannot occupy one space or idea all the time.  I have to create a space where my brain, body and spirit can take a break. I know that this is a privilege and I truly believe everyone deserves it.  I want to support and encourage anyone who reads this to take care of themselves, in what ever way feels true to them.  Just as it is so important that we are taking care of each other, we need to be sure to take care of ourselves as well...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blissful Bites #9

Following the lead of the lovely  "other Liv"  I experienced a handful of wonderful suprises this week. 1) My mom called me from the road and asked to pull in for the night, with my pa and three little nephews in tow! They were traveling back from Idaho and thought it would be fun to camp out at our house for the night. It was a lovely summer evening that had four little boys running through the sprinkler, eating ice cream cones, gathering around a campfire and then drifting off to sleep in a giant pile of sleeping bags. 2) We got our final bid from Community Energy Works of Oregon and have applied for our loan!  In just a few short days we should know if we will get new insulation and water heater.  This is so exciting for us.  Without this program, I am not sure we'd be able to get this work done any time soon.  3) The Hubs and I spent one evening cleaning up the remnants of the shed remodel.  This is the shed that we got free on Craigslist and with the assi

There are so many reasons why I should hate this photo, but I don't.

I participated in a photo shoot for an event called the #suitupcampaign.  It is the hope of the woman organizing it to have a more varied representation of body types in swim suits, which would in turn  invite other women to feel comfortable "suiting up" for summer if they saw bodies that looked like theirs.  I was asked to submit a picture of my suit and so I set out to take a couple selfies.  As I was going through them and I started to notice something; I looked beautiful. As a fat, white, cisgender, femme-presenting, often mis-identified queer woman who is currently partnered with a cisgender man, I have received many messages about my body over the course of my life. From a very young age my body was labeled as fat.  I understood the resounding message that my worth was directly tied to in how much space I was supposed to take up in the world.  I understood that it was always open season on my body - from family, friends, doctors and even strangers.  Sometimes couch

Little blue jacket!

I am so incredibly in love with this new Torrid white label dark wash cropped jean jacket. It is probably my most favorite new piece of clothing. I'm never sure how things are going to be, since Torrid doesn't often carry size 5 or 28 in the store. When the jacket arrived and I pulled it out of its plastic and was instantly in love. It's the perfect weight for spring and summer and the fabric is buttery soft which makes rolling the sleeves a brief. I think it will be a great layering piece in the fall as well. It looks hot with all of my skater dresses and empire cut tops. It's definitely become my go-to piece and I would recommend it for anyone.